It is not as difficult to start doing yoga on your own as it seems at first glance. This sport is now very popular, fashionable, as it allows you to put in order not only the body but also the thoughts. A variety of techniques, levels of difficulty of asanas allows you to choose the appropriate option for any purpose. But to get at least a minimal result, you need not just watch the video, but start practicing on your own.
Yoga types for beginners
- Ashtanga. An energetic and intense look that will not let you relax. One lesson consists of several poses with a duration of five breathing cycles. Between them, a “salutation to the sun” is necessarily made.
- Mysore. The safest variety. The average duration is 3 hours, but you can come and go whenever you want, take breaks, maintain your own pace, not the pace of the instructor. The shown asanas can be repeated as many times as required.
- Vinyasa flow. Just a matter, no unnecessary information about muscle groups that work, benefits, effect, designations of asanas. This is complete immersion in the inner world, as well as high intensity exercise.
- Bikras. This species was created in the 70s of the last century. Consists of exactly 26 asanas, which strengthen muscles, develop stretching of the body, perform compression of internal organs. In order to get rid of toxins, the air in the room is heated (sauna effect). Therefore, you have to sweat well.
- Kundalini. The basis of this knowledge is to work with the spine, restore it, support it. Traditional asanas are complemented by breathing practices, meditation.
- Hatha. No meditations, mantras, breathing techniques, only physical activity through asanas.
- Yin. An excellent option for those people who lead a sedentary lifestyle or exercise little. Yin variety relieves stiffness, stiffness in muscles, increases flexibility, elasticity. The duration of one asana can be up to 10 minutes. Thanks to meditation, this type is often chosen by athletes before serious competitions, athletes.
- Jivamukti. Includes reading, listening to special musical compositions, doing vinyasa poses, singing. This direction is considered a separate philosophy that allows you to get rid of unnecessary things.
All types are aimed at relaxation, getting rid of stress, gaining knowledge, skills to understand your body. But some focus on stretching, others on posture and back health, and strength training. You must first understand why you should start doing yoga in order to choose a specific type, to fully focus on it.
Can you master yoga yourself?
According to experienced experts, if there is no opportunity, desire to visit the gym, you can always practice at home. You just need to select such asanas that will correspond to the experience and not endanger your health. If you have no experience at all, you can attend several classes with an instructor in order to understand the structure of the classes, the features of a particular direction.
During homework, do not forget about a number of recommendations, rules that will help you do everything right, constantly develop your body and thoughts.
- Safety comes first. Many exercises are traumatic enough, you need to start with the simplest basics with detailed video tutorials. Only if the body completely succumbs, and the position of the legs and arms is learned, can we proceed to the next stage.
- You can’t do without a warm-up. As in any sport, a proper warm-up allows you to warm up your muscles, joints, and prepare them for stress. The warm-up should include exercises for all muscle groups.
- Yoga is best done on an empty stomach. That is why morning time or two hours after breakfast is suitable. Due to the contraction of organs, the body can reject undigested food.
- Contraindications If there are inflammatory processes, open wounds, infectious diseases, acute respiratory viral infections, exacerbation of chronic diseases, critical days or stomach pains, it is worth postponing classes for the next time.
- Stable schedule. You cannot start yoga classes on your own, and then take a break for two months and continue again from the same place. The body forgets about its achievements. If interrupted, you need to start from scratch. Create a schedule that is convenient for you and follow it constantly. For example, it is better to practice every other day for half an hour than just twice a week for three hours.
It is also important not to forget about moderation. You should not try asanas shown by trained bloggers or experienced athletes if they are of a difficult level. There is a time for everything: beginners should learn at least 20 simple asanas and meditation in order to move on.
Where to start at home?
There are a number of recommendations, steps that help you quickly, without problems, start mastering yoga at home.
- Choose a place to practice. You need to be in complete harmony with yourself to practice. Therefore, everything around should bring peace, and not annoy. This can be in the bedroom next to the bed, in the corner of the living room, or even on the balcony. The main thing is that nothing should be distracted. Choose a window location for plenty of natural light.
- Arrangement of the place. First of all, you need to purchase a special yoga mat. It can be made of synthetic, natural, combined materials, it must fit in size. There should be no furniture around the selected place, which can be injured. Over time, the corner can be decorated with photographs, cute things, motivating images. Other exercise accessories can be purchased later when needed. These include a blanket for meditation, knee pads, smart sports sensors with a timer and the ability to control pressure, heart rate, and body temperature.
- Drawing up a nutrition plan and exercise schedule. It is compiled taking into account work, family, sleep patterns, etc. There are no clear boundaries when you can and cannot practice. The main thing is that it is comfortable for the body, does not cause stress. The meal schedule is also selected based on the time of the classes.
- Choice of style. There are a lot of them, options for beginners have already been mentioned. Before choosing, it is worth reading about the goal of each type, what are the advantages, features, whether it will help to achieve a specific goal. There is no need to rush, since further development depends on the first direction. Information is available in specialized books and websites. But it is best to ask a professional instructor at the club. Most often, beginners prefer Ashtanga and Hatha yoga, which are considered the simplest and safest.
- Exercise selection. Even after choosing a specific type of practice, several dozen asanas are offered, which are very different from each other. Building a program on your own is difficult, but possible. In addition, there are special mobile applications that greatly simplify this task. You can also ask your coach for advice.
- Choice of music or background. It is believed that it is best to concentrate in silence. But this is not the case. The sounds of a house, apartment, neighbors, street and even a drop of water from a tap can unbalance. A special musical selection for relaxation allows you to forget about extraneous sounds, focus on a certain rhythm, tempo. In addition, some compositions contribute to the achievement of peace of mind.
Yoga as a way of life is pleasure, balance. If it leads to irritation, pain, and other physical or moral problems, it is necessary to change direction or even choose a completely different sports activity. And if after training there are only good impressions, the motion vector is chosen correctly.
Respiratory control is fundamental to any practice. It should be calm, deep, rhythmic. Inhales, exhalations are made full, measured, with intervals between cycles. For beginners, we recommend using a metronome that sets the tempo you want. At first, you will have to constantly control breathing, but then it will return to normal. If you skip this stage and do the asanas as it happens, then there will be no effect. Even leisurely yoga in hammocks , without breathing, is just gymnastics.
The warm-up before the asanas is somewhat different from the standard one. The first part looks more like a regular exercise for all muscle groups. But towards the end, the movements become smoother, more calm. The purpose of the warm-up is to first warm up the muscles so that they start to work, and then calm them down. Already at this stage, you need to use the correct breathing. To relax between warm-up and asanas, you can use meditation, study of mantras, calm music.
Simple asanas that you can do yourself
- Simple foundation. Everything that is in yoga originates from it. Beginners should sit on the mat with their legs extended in front of them. We place each foot under the knee opposite to it. Bend the lower back slightly forward, align the back. This basis is used for breathing, meditation and other asanas.
- Rock. Also applies to the main ones. You need to sit on your knees and put your hands on your hips. The back is straight. Your ankles will hurt first, so you can put a blanket under your buttocks.
- Mountain. Stand straight, feet shoulder-width apart, lower back and abdomen tense, even. The shoulders and chest are straightened. As you inhale, your hands rise up and touch your fingers, continue to stretch. The stand must be firm and not wobble.
- The triangle pose, more commonly known as the Downward Dog. From a standing position with arms and legs shoulder-width apart, go to the support with your feet, palms on the floor. All limbs are straight, the neck is elongated, the back is as straight as possible. The body should form a triangle. The initial duration is one minute, but ideally the asana should last at least 4 minutes.
- Pose “cat-cow”. The initial pose is on all fours. Place your hands shoulder-width apart, and your knees under your hips. While inhaling, begin to pull the pelvis forward, smoothly bending your back down. The chin stretches as high as possible. This is the cow pose, from which you need to go into the cat pose. To do this, as you exhale, you need to start moving the pelvis, back in the opposite direction, rest your chin on the chest.
- “Cobra”. An excellent asana for training shoulders, chest. Lie on your stomach, put your hands under your shoulders. Slowly raise your head, neck, chest until your arms are fully extended. In this case, the body should move backward. If at first it is difficult to hold on to outstretched arms, you can slightly bend your elbows. Hold the pose for 1 to 3 minutes.
- “Tree”. Another basic asana that everyone should learn. Starting in the mountain pose, you need to raise one leg and rest it with the sole on the thigh of the other leg. Pull in the stomach, align the back, raise your hands up and connect with your palms. Keep this for several breathing cycles. Repeat for the other leg.
These are just a few of the asanas that make up the basic framework of yoga. In order to master them, it will take a lot of time, since they seem easy only at first glance. In addition, you need to constantly monitor not only your movements, but also your breathing.
When is it worth going to a yoga center?
Yoga classes is now very attended and popular, so it is quite easy to find an option that is in harmony with your inner state. There are plenty to choose from. If home lessons do not give any result, self-discipline is lame, it is better to go to an instructor with professional training, to study in a group. The support of other athletes and the possibility of quick learning will improve not only the mood but also the level of preparation of the body for new asanas. The body for regular, well-structured classes will respond to progress. The result will become more noticeable, which will cheer up and give hope to become an advanced yogi.